Tuesday 30 November 2010

Snow much fun.......

I was working again last weekend.
It went like this -
drove to Stirling Friday evening, weather fine...
woke up Saturday morning, snow......
worked all day Saturday, more snow......
woke up Sunday morning, more snow.....
left Stirling 12.10pm Sunday, had to be pushed out of hotel car park in thick snow, roads horrendous......
got to Dunblane (about 8 miles up the A9), roads even worse......
police closed A9 and diverted all cars into Dunblane 1.20pm.......
managed to slither car into shopping centre car park in Dunblane 1.30pm.....
to Dunblane station to wait for 2.17pm train to Perth......
more than an hour on freezing platform in the snow......
shoehorned onto VERY packed train 3.20pm......
Perth station 4.18pm....
walk half mile home in a foot of snow.......!!!!!!

P.S. finally returned to Dunblane this morning to dig car out and crawl along snowy road home...phew :-)
P.P.S. still a foot of snow all over and it's snowing again.

10 comments:

CalumCarr said...

Snow fair at all, Ruth.

Horrendous! At least, you are safe and well and at home.

I sense a smile in these words now that the journeys are over.

Ruth said...

I was SO pleased to get that train home on Sunday, Calum. Lots of people were stranded at Dunblane overnight. BF took 5 hours to get from Inverkeithing to Perth, as did no.2 son and his dad from Livingston. No. 1 son went to a party near Dunkeld on Saturday night and he got home no bother!!!

Claude said...

You need to be brave and persistant to continue your regular activities on days like that. I hope you dress warm, and go out only when absolutely necessary. It's good that you made it home okay.

I remember, years ago, in Ottawa, having to walk 4 hours in the snow to reach the hospital for my night shift. We had snowstorms every other day. The car was useless. And the transport, within the city, mostly paralysed.

Wishing you a warm, safe winter.

Ruth said...

Thanks Claude. College has been closed since Monday because of weather but open for staff tomorrow, so I intend to trudge in. It's a mere half hour walk for me though ;-)
I did walk to the shops today just to get my boys advent calenders....I must be a bit mad!

CherryPie said...

Crikey that is a lot of snow! I can't remember the last time we had quite that much...

Anonymous said...

I've been marooned at home for three days. Each day I have awakened with good intentions to work on the computer. Each day I have actually spent most of the daylight hours shovelling snow trying to help various people of the village who are more desperate than me to get their cars onto the main road, then get them back in again at night. If this persists I think garages are going to have to start selling snow tires again. We are planning a brave bid to get out tomorrow. My lady says three whole days snowed in with me is proving just too much of a good thing for her. How diplomatic.

Ruth said...

Don't think you'll be getting out today either Andrew. I've just woken to another 2-3 inches fallen overnight! I'm very glad we dug out the cars yesterday. The down side to that is that BF has snapped a tendon in his hand in the process :-(

Anonymous said...

Your are correct Ruth, another big fall overnight and more predicted now. We are going nowhere today (other than on foot).

Anonymous said...

Oh, and snapped tendon: that sounds painful and serious (or does it sound like an invented excuse?). Happy shovelling Ruth, while BF clasps his coffee in his good hand and offers instructions.

Ruth said...

Not painful. In fact he didn't even know he'd done it until he realised he couldn't straighten one finger! He returned home yeaterday in the hope of flying to Amsterdam today for work, but that hasn't happened either since Edinburgh Airport shut!