Friday 30 April 2010

Life goes on.......

I've been thinking about writing a blog for ages.
So here goes the first one......

I was at a funeral today. I was surprised at the emotions it stirred in me. It was the father of a very old friend of mine (as in we've known each other a long time - she's not that old really!).
He was 77 ......it doesn't seem very old these days. Although I didn't know him very well I can remember their house being very welcoming when I was a teenager. I also remember his wicked sense of humour and how he used to love to tell entertaining and outrageous stories which frequently shocked us. I also remember how he spoke to us teenagers like adults and how much I appreciated that.
Three of his grandchildren were there today. Beautiful, well mannered, intelligent girls - though I'm slightly biased, as I am godmother to one of them. He would have been very proud of them.

9 comments:

jams o donnell said...

I came to your blog via Life's Science. Just to say welcome to the blogosphere and wish you happy blogging

CalumCarr said...

Hi Ruth

Welcome to the world of madness!

Ah! "Little by Little". Had to google it.

Ruth said...

Thanks gents.

And yes Calum, your translation is correct. An often used expression of my mum's (who spoke just enough gaelic to have fun with it!)

Anonymous said...

Ah... I see a couple of worthy gents beat me to it then! Yes, life goes on and "Little by Little" (I had to google it too). Nice to see you blogging Ruth, although you need to remember there are some nutters out there (and you've just been visited by three of them!). I look forward to seeing some of your great photos up here too.

Anonymous said...

By the way, there is a setting option that will let you hide your "followers" if you prefer people not to see what dodgy characters they are, such as that geezer who has appeared up on the right. One the other hand, if you wish to display what esteemed celebrities follow your site, you can leave it up. And people can follow openly (like that geezer up there) or anonymously. Just telling you a few things you may wish to know, if you had not already figured them out.

Sean Jeating said...

[...] for each beginning bears a special magic [...]
As it behoves Seanso Pansa is following his Don Quiscottie to welcome you in the realm of bloggers, Mylady.
And this without a right parenthesis following a colon.

Claude said...

I've already admired your photos once tru Andrew's blog. It will be lovely to get to know a bit more of Scotland via your travels inland. Many thanks in advance. All the best from Canada.

Claude said...

"Beag air Bheag" means I'll get to learn of Scotland petit à petit. Merci!

Ruth said...

I'm delighted to have borrowed so many of Andrew's visitors. I hope you'll all come back again soon.
Claudia...I'll do my best to fulfil the brief.